Medical Assistant - Physical Health
POSITION SUMMARY: Under supervision of medical management, performs duties in support of therapeutic services to an adult population composed of persons with co-occurring physical health conditions and mental health or substance-use disorders, and/or referred persons. Responsible for providing services to members including engagement, medication administration and education; performs related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this classification.
- Escorts patients to and from exam rooms, Primary Care Provider offices, and treatment rooms as appropriate.
- Obtains and records patient data prior to each Primary Care Provider visit, including but not limited to, vital signs, height, weight, allergies, and medication changes; obtains all necessary patient records as required by Primary Care Provider and verifies presence of consent prior to treatment or procedures.
- Generates and maintains medical, organization, and program records; conducts preliminary and follow-up audits; requests and receives information, and updates information/forms according to established formats and timelines.
- Documents all activities in the medical record according to policy, using approved forms.
- Obtains blood specimens from peripheral sites as needed and in accordance with OSHA and universal precautions.
- Prepares and stocks exam/treatment rooms and orders supplies as needed and maintains all exam/treatment room disinfection protocols and assists in the setup for medical outpatient/office procedures and assists with exams and procedures.
- Assists with patient education including but not limited to distributing education literature, etc.
- Performs administrative duties, such as answering calls for referral to nurse, pharmacist or Primary Care Provider, calling in prescriptions, assisting with select pre-authorizations and pre-certifications, typing, filing faxing reception, etc as requested by supervisor or Primary Care Provider.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures and hospital admissions and schedules appointments to follow-up on receipt of test results, as applicable.
- Coordinates physical and behavioral health care needs for members, to include specialty care for patients in need of external consultation, as requested by the primary care practitioner.
- Performs referral case management functions, such as scheduling, tracking, providing reports or scanning consultation reports into medical records.
- Coordinates member care with the PCP or Integrated Care Provider and RBHA Care Management Department and coordinates transition of member care for PCP services into or out of the clinic setting.
- Screens for physical health issues and ensures clinical interventions recommended by the RBHA care manager/care coordinator are incorporated into the members care.
Skills / Requirements
- A High School Diploma/GED
- Current Medical Assistant Certification valid in the state of Arizona
- Current Arizona Driver License and a current satisfactory 39-month Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
- Must be 21 years of age
- Background Check
- Minimum typing speed of 25 wpm
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, the following:
- CPR and First Aid certifications
Lifewell Behavioral Wellness is a non-profit behavioral healthcare agency providing treatment, services and support for low-income clients diagnosed with serious mental illness (SMI), general mental health issues and substance abuse disorders. Lifewell offers residential, outpatient, community living and psychosocial rehabilitation programs which are client centered and adapted to address a broad range of needs.
Lifewell programs provide safe and supportive environments that foster recovery, healthy living and personal growth for clients as they build on existing strengths, focus on addressing deficiencies, and learn new social and vocational skills.